Varicose veins are a very common health condition among adults. However, there are still a lot of things that people do not know about it. Here are 9 things you should know:
- Crossing your legs and wearing high heels do not lead to the formation of varicose veins.
- Varicosities can also pose substantial health risks. They can include deep vein thrombosis, leg edema, poor circulation, and the formation of blood clots.
- Varicosities run in the family.
- Varicose veins are different from spider veins. The latter are small and thin, bluish blood vessels that are visible under the skin. Varicose veins, on the other hand, are very thick and can have a bulging appearance.
- Men can also have venous problems.
- Pregnant women will always have varicosities. This is the result of the increase in pressure exerted by the growing uterus against the vena cava. There are also hormones that can relax the smooth muscles of veins.
- Walking and toe raises are two very simple exercises that can help you prevent venous problems.
- Compression stockings, horse chestnut seed extract, and witch hazel are three natural ways you can help improve the symptoms of varicosities.
- Professional treatment for varicose veins is now available.