Lips are the thinnest skin in the body. Lacking layers of protection, they’re often prone to dryness. Here are ways to prevent chapped lips.
1. Select scent-free, menthol-free lip balm. Ideally, your balm should just contain natural oils and hyaluronic acid. The fewer ingredients there are, the better your lips are protected from irritation. Even vitamin E in balms sometimes dries up your lips, especially when you overuse balms.
2. Give your lips a weekly exfoliation to remove excess skin and prep them for hydration. Simply prepare a mixture of sugar (or baking soda), a teaspoon of water, and Vaseline. Rub it over your lips gently using circular motion.
3. Reduce the heat in your house. Humidify it instead. Added heat, particularly during winter, can cause dry skin and lips.
4. Hydrating your skin from the inside by drinking lots of water is still the best way to have good skin, hair, and lips. So be handy with your bottle all the time.
5. Avoid licking or picking on your dry, flaky lips, lest the condition leads to “lip licker’s dermatitis” which can be painful. Also, your fingers contains bacteria. Constant picking can only worsen the case. Instead, hydrate and moisturize lips with Vaseline or balm.